Can Civic Education replace Government: Many questions are based on this topic such as Can I replace civic education with Government? this question is mainly asked by WAEC or SSS 1-3 students. Actually, it was recently that Waec introduces Civic Education into the Senior Secondary Curriculum Syllabus.
Nkedugists is here to answer the question because we have gathered information from great scholars, lecturers, and teachers about this issue. Now let’s get started with some hints before will let the cat out of the bag.
What is the meaning of civic education? It is a public, socially-oriented system of continuous education and upbringing aimed at building civic competence, and democratic culture, and satisfying the needs for socialization in the interests of the individual, civil society, and the rule of law. Let us find out its importance in modern Nigerian society.
What are the components of Civic education?
The main components of civic education are:
- Human rights education.
- Teaching a culture of peace.
- Education of tolerance.
- Development of intersectoral social partnerships.
- Management of self-governing associations of citizens.
Citizenship Rights and Responsibilities
- Freedom to express yourself.
- Freedom to worship as you wish.
- Right to a prompt, fair trial by jury.
- Right to vote in elections for public officials.
- Right to apply for federal employment requiring U.S. citizenship.
- Right to run for elected office.
- Freedom to pursue “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
Responsibilities of a Citizen
- Support and defend the Constitution.
- Stay informed of the issues affecting your community.
- Participate in the democratic process.
- Respect and obey federal, state, and local laws.
- Respect the rights, beliefs, and opinions of others.
- Participate in your local community.
- Pay income and other taxes honestly, and on time, to federal, state, and local authorities.
- Serve on a jury when called upon.
- Defend the country if the need should arise.
Civic education is an important and effective tool that facilitates the participation of citizens in democratic processes and development processes. This tool helps citizens speak both on their own behalf and within a certain group. Civic participation is built on the protection of individual and collective rights and on ensuring an understanding of the obligations of each citizen to the society of which he/she is a part.
- 2023/2024 COMPREHENSIVE WAEC/NECO PAST QUESTION AND ANSWERS
- Secret Reasons On How to Pass Waec that you See as Uncommon
- Nkedugists Saturday Gist On Common Reasons Why Students Fail WAEC
Government affects all aspects of people’s lives. What we eat, where we go to school, what kind of education we receive, and how our tax money is spent.
In fact, even what we do in our free time is somewhat affected by governments. Nigerians and citizens of many other countries are often unaware of the pervasiveness of government in their everyday lives, and many are unsure of precisely what it does.
Features of Government
Given below are the major characteristics and features of the government in a state:
- Constitution: This is a major characteristic of a government. The government makes a set of agreed rules which guides it in the administration of the state.
- Periodic Change: A government is meant to change after a specific period of time. No government is permanent, particularly a democratic or elective government which changes through periods of elections.
- Legitimacy: A government must enjoy the support of the people.
- Revenue: The government makes revenue in different ways to enhance its administration.
- Political Power: The government must possess political power which is a tool for rooting orderliness in a state.
- Universality of Government’s Reach: The jurisdiction of the government must reach or extend to everyone within the state.
- Public Institutions: The institutions comprising the government of a political society, differ from the other institutions within the society.
Functions Of Government
- Law Making
- Military defense of the country
- Provision of employment
- Maintenance of law and order
- Promotion of economic growth and development
- Maintaining good relations with other sovereign states or countries (foreign diplomacy)
- Protection of civil liberties
- Protection of lives and properties
- Administration of justice
- Formulation and implementation of policies
- Provision of social-welfare services
Can Civic Education replace Government the Answer is NO If you are a student who is confused about choosing your nine Waec subject especially thinking about how to replace Government with Civic Education or replacing Civic Education with Government, then you are making a wrong decision?
Nkedugists advise all Art students or commercial students not to make the mistake of thinking that Civic is Government what you need to do is to choose both subjects among your nine subjects. Civic Education is Moral Citizenship Education while Government is Political awareness Education so both work together.
If you don’t mind can you tell us what is your own WAEC Subject Combination looks like. What’s your take on this? drop your comments in the comment box below.
Nkedugists urge you to use this same opportunity to share this information with others using our Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ share button below.
I have D7 in Civic education can I study law ?
Did you have Government in your WAEC RESULT if yes then you can study Law
I have only math English commerce Yoruba and civic in waec which course can I study
With maths,english, economics, marketing and civic education can I go for business administration
Yes, you can go for Business Administration is a nice subject combination, although Commerce was not involved Economics cover it.
You don’t need government to study law. The 3 main subjects are 1. Literature in English 2 English Language and Mathematics . Plus any 2 subjects in arts or social science. crk , economics, civic education , government and marketing
Mr Kingsley, When you hear the word government and Law what come to your mind? Please Mr Kingsley that idea is a bad attempt of decision here, don’t try to lead the public astray thanks.
Pls I have civic education in my NECO result can I apply for mass comm or political science thank you.
Yes Mr Abdul
Please I have mathematics
English, economics, commerce Civic education, can I study business administration??
Pls I have Civic,econ,commerce, English,math,biol,crs, marketing,lit in English. And I want to study Mass communication.
Yes You can Study Mass Communication
I have English, maths, Economics and civic education please can I study
Yes You can study Economics as a Course.
Please can I study business administration without mathematics
Yes, you can.
Please what course can I study with this waec result in university I have mathematics,English language, commerce, civic education, agricultural science
Can you please list all the Nine subjects in other for us to help you out?
the subjects in other
English langauge C
Civic education B
Financial account F
Animal husbandry F
Agricultural science C
Please what course can i study with this result and which school
Please can I study public administration with maths, English, civic and economics
No… You need English Government, civic or marketing and Economics or commerce.
Please I have
English language C6
Civic Education C6
Literature in English C6
Agricultural science E8
Christian religious knowledge C6
Can I study mass communication? If no which other course can I study?
You can study political science, Law, theatre Art, linguistics e.t.c
Hello, please I have
Civic edu. B3
Lit in English. E8
Islamic studies. D7
Please can I study “Education and Economics”.?
Please guide me. I have:
Civic Education C
What are the courses that I can study with the above course?
Your course subjects are not complete, it supposes to be 9 subjects how come Is 7? but you can study Sociology, Political Science, Economics e.t.c
I mean to say “…with the above subjects?”
I didn’t get Economics and Literature-in-English. Thank you…
What is your list of courses and the credit unit?
Literature in English F9
Civic Education C4
English Language C5
General Mathematics C6
Pls l have
Literature in English
Dyeing and bleaching
Can I study mass communication if l replace Civic with government in my jamb
Pls help me
Can I Study ECONOMICS with
Civic and government in SSCE subject Combination
Pls… Can i study early childgood education with MATH E8 ENG C4 LIT IN ENG B2 GOVT D7 CIVIC C5 FRENCH B3 CRS C5 MARKTG C5 YOR C5 at UI
LITERATURE IN ENGLISH D7
CIVIC EDUCATION A1
ENGLISH LANGUAGE C6
Please I’m trying to study economics and finance in Italy as an international would my result be accepted?