Emperical Formula Examples and Answer
Emperical Formula of a compound is the simpliest possible formula giving the ratio of atoms in a molecule of the compound. Example CH, HO, NH3, H2O e.t.c.
Molecular Formula The molecular is the formula which shows the actual number of atoms of the different elements present in one molecules of the compound. Example ( CH)n, (H2CO)n, (CH3)n e.t.c
Some given solution to some test questions
1. Determine the molecular formula of an alkane whose vapour density is 15 (H=1, C=12, R.M.M = 2, VD)
A. CH4 Answer
emperical formular of alkane = (CH4)
(1 x 12 + 4 x 1)n = 2 x 15
16n = 30
Divide both sides by 16
16n/16 = 30/16
n = 1
2. A hydrocarbon X has a relative molar mass 56 and consists of 87.8% by mass of carbon and 12.2% hydrogen. Determine the empirical formula of X give its molecular formula
Divide by the smallest ratio which is 12.2
1 1 therefore Emperical formula of X is CH
(12 + 1)n = 56
13n = 56
Divide both sides by 13
13n/13 = 56/13
N = 4 therefore Molecular formular of X is C4H4
Do you know Emperical Formula Examples and Answer is among the simplest solving in chemistry?
3. A hydrocarbon containing 88.9% carbon has the empirical formula (H=1, C=12)
7.4 1 11.1
Divide by the smallest ratio
1 1 therefore the empirical formular is CH
Try this and solve
A compound contains 31.9% potassium, 28.93% chlorine and the rest oxygen. What is the chemical formular of the compound? ( K=39, CL=35.5, O=16)
If you think what was solve here is not correct or maybe you are having a doubt about it why can’t you kindly drop it in our comment box below.
Nkedugist is trying to make it possible to help students who have a passion for studies to solve some exercise and give them a guideline to work it out.
- Definition of Isotopes and Relative Atomic Mass (Solutions)
- The Law of Definite Proportion or Constant Composition
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWER: ATOM AND MOLECULES
Leave a Comment