2023 NECO English language Questions: The National Examinations Council (NECO) is an examination body in Nigeria that conducts the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination and the General Certificate in Education in June/July and December/January respectively.
Are you a candidate who is in search of 2023 NECO English language Questions? If so you are at the right place because Nkedugists Team is here to guide you on How the 2023 Neco English past questions are been set.
The NECO English Paper I – III consists of multiple choice questions, all of which should be answered within 1 hour for 40 marks. Paper II will consist of five essay topics and a passage each to test candidates’ comprehension and summary skills. Candidates will be expected to write an essay on one of the topics and answer all the questions on Comprehension and Summary passages which carries 100 marks.
Finally, paper IV will consist of sixty multiple-choice items on the Test of Orals for candidates in Nigeria and Liberia, and on Listening Comprehension for candidates in Ghana, Gambia, and Sierra Leone. All the questions will be answered in 45 minutes for 30 marks.
You are to answer only one question from this section. All questions carry equal marks. Your answer should not be less than 450 words. You are advised to spend about 45 minutes on this section.
1. Since the inception of social media in Nigeria, there has been a rise in cyberbullying and the distribution of fake news. Write an article suitable for publication in a national newspaper on the need for Government to regulate social media.
2. There have been many articles recently in the newspapers criticizing trafficking in children. Write an article for publication in one of your national dailies, condemning this practice.
3. A friend of yours confided in you that she intends to drop out of school to get. Write a letter to her giving, at least, three reasons why she should stay in school.
4. Your school has been performing poorly in public examinations for the past three years. Write a letter to your principal suggesting ways of making students more interested in academic work.
5. Write a story to illustrate the saying: I killed two birds with one stone.
The passage was interesting. The subject matter was within the experience and grasp of the candidates and the information required for answering content questions correctly was very clear in the passage. Nevertheless, some of the candidates did not demonstrate a clear understanding of the passage. Such candidates simply resorted to copying portions of the passage as answers.
Important Note To Candidates: Some candidates lifts whole sentences without modification and presented them as answers while writing the summary part of the exam. Candidates must learn to paraphrase and must be able to separate the main points from illustrations and examples in given sentences. Copying portions of the set passage verbatim without regard to what is asked is certainly not summary writing.
Also, some candidates used preambles that when taken with the points, did not make good sentences. Candidates who decide to use preambles must ensure that they do so correctly. Candidates must understand what the passage says and what the questions demand if they must tackle the summary questions successfully.
In each of the following sentences, there is one underlined word and one gap. From the list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the underlined word and that will, at the same time, correctly fill the gap in the sentence.
- Most African countries face poverty while few enjoy ………………
- Last year our farmers cultivated more crops than they……………
From the words lettered A to D, choose the word that best completes each of the following sentences.
- There would have been a riot in our school but for the timely ……….. of our staff.
- The armed robbers …every room in the bank to look for money.
After each of the following sentences, a list of possible interpretations is given. Choose the interpretation that you consider most appropriate for each sentence.
If you need us to help you with updated questions and answers at the right time about the 2023 NECO English language Questions, kindly subscribe or Join the Nkedugists Channel for you to have access to important tutorials…
What’s your take on this? drop your comment box below Nkedugists urge you to use this same opportunity to share this information across to others using our Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ share button below.
- Ade is too clever by half. This means that Ade is
A. far cleverer than others
B. actually very stupid in his behaviour
C. annoyingly clever
D. behaving to be clever but is not.
- Ameh is really being economical with the truth. This means that Ameh
A. is being praised for being honest
B. does not know enough
C. knows more than he is prepared to say
D. is not telling the truth.
From the words lettered A to D below each of the following sentences, chose the word or group of words that is nearest in meaning to the underlined word as it is used in the sentence.
- By failing to attend the interview, Idoko has lost a golden opportunity.
- I hope the principal would be gracious enough to forgive us.
From the words or group of words lettered A to D, choose the word or group of words that best completes each of the following sentences.
1. A good citizen abides ….. the rules of the land.
2. Since his swearing in, the governor ……….. his hometown.
A. had not been visiting
B. has not visited
C. did not visit
D. had not visited.
In each of the following questions, the main /primary stress is indicated by writing the syllable on which it occurs in capital letters. From the words lettered A to D, choose the one that has the correct stress.
Important Notice for 2020 Neco Candidate:
- Bringing GSM into the Examination Hall is PROHIBITED. THE ALBINOS AND BLIND CANDIDATES ARE TO BE GIVEN 15 MINUTES EXTRA TIME ACROSS ALL SUBJECTS.
- BLIND CANDIDATES MUST MAKE USE OF NECO SUPPLIED OBR CUSTOMIZED BRAILLE SHEET FOR THE EXAMINATION.
If you need us to help you with more updated information at the right time about 2020 NECO Questions Answers kindly join Nkedugists forum or subscribe with us by clicking on the bell.
What’s your take on this? drop your comment box below Nkedugists urge you to use this same opportunity to share this information across to others using our Facebook, twitter or Google+ share button below.