What are the requirements for nysc camp: These are compulsory things you need if you are currently looking forward to going to NYSC camp? Before you get carried away with the excitement of this, there are some important NYSC camp requirements you need to know of. The worst thing any corps member can do is to arrive at camp and discover that they have left behind some things that would have made life easier or worse, they have left some important documents that hinder their registration.
At the point of registration, each prospective member shall receive NYSC clothes. While these are all good, we are all human and one shall need much more than these to survive the upcoming three weeks. Here are a couple of things that, while not issued at the point of entry, are very essential for your stay in camp.
Material items needed for NYSC orientation Camp
- NYSC call-up letter – your call-up letter is the most important one. You are required to have the original copy and the photocopies you made. Without this letter, you shall not be allowed in. This document acts as proof that you are, indeed a prospect and not an impersonator.
Do not laminate your call-up letter. If you do, it might make your chances of enrolling very slim. In some cases, prospects have been sent back home and others have been allowed in but only after hours and even days of begging for the opportunity.
- Final year school identity card – You should also have the original and photocopies of this. The ID card acts as proof that you graduated from the institution indicated on your certificate.
- Statements of result or certificates – For this, make sure that you have the original copy plus six photocopies of your statement of your result/certificate of the course you studied.
- Passport photographs – It is recommended that you go with your recent passport photographs. Have about 20 pictures all taken in a white background. The reason for so many pictures is because you will be needed to attach one at different points of registration, e.g. skill acquisition groups, religious groups, sports, bank account opening, etc.
- Certificates and/or licenses – For doctors, pharmacists, nurses as well as lab scientists, take along your proof of certification. Graduates of Medicine and Pharmacy are expected to have their Certificates of Registration with the Nigerian Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (NMDCN) and Pharmacists Council of Nigeria (PCN) respectively.
- Medical certificate of fitness – You must obtain a medical certificate from a government or military hospital to show your current health status.
Other than the compulsory items, you will require more things to help you during your stay. These essentials will help you be clean, counter boredom and act as a form of first aid in case you ever need them. What are the requirements for nysc camp?
Unlike the items above, these items are not compulsory. Having these things with you will lessen the burden of your everyday camp activities and schedules. They will also help in saving you money as things at the NYSC camp are normally sold at a higher price.
Your essentials will include:
- File jackets
- White round neck T-shirts – In most camps, this is the only piece of clothing that is allowed to be worn throughout. While you will be given two t-shirts in your NYSC kit, they are not enough and the quality might not be the best. Extra t-shirts will help keep you warm -if need be- and they will prevent you from having to do your laundry every day
- White shorts and socks – Just like t-shirts, bringing an extra pair of shorts and socks keeps the stress of laundry at bay
- Plain white sneakers or tennis shoes – Prospects are issued with shoes, however, the pairs provided might not be in your shoe size. Carrying your own will help in case you are among the unlucky ones to receive a pair that is too big or too small.
- Underwear – Make sure to pack more than what you think will be enough. You never know what might happen
- Padlocks : It is always a good idea to have your things kept under lock and key. You never know if someone might want to steal yours.
- Toiletries:These include toilet paper, sanitary pads, and tampons for the ladies, a soap dish, a pair of slippers, etc.
- waist pouch: The bum bags are more popular because they won’t bang against you when you’re active and your hands are free to do whatever. You need it to carry your money, phone, small valuables, pens, etc around with you at all times. You should sleep with it too.
- Mosquito Treated net: You would do not want to fall sick in camp from malaria and miss out on the fun. Just bring yours. Also, bring ropes you would use to hang it. The nets usually have these. I also used mine as a room to protect my box and properties from thieves and also from some insects and ants.
- Basic drugs: Like paracetamol, medicine for your allergies, menstrual pain relief drug, nausea relief drugs, antibiotics e.t.c. The camp clinic is sometimes inadequately stocked with drugs so help yourself. True story – A corper once donated at least a million Naira worth of medicine to the Lagos State NYSC camp clinic, and barely a few days later, they claimed to have run out of medicine.
- Antiseptic: Such as Dettol etc. This is very, very essential. Firstly the bathrooms can be very annoying and dirty and more importantly, you would not like to have an infection from camp. Bad idea. Depending on your camp, the water can be dirty. Most people always have a reaction to it.
- Detergent: Again, this reduces the amount of load you’re bringing into camp. However, if you’re lucky the mammy market will have vendors offering laundry services! It costs about N50 per item, N100 for your khaki trousers or jacket, extra N50 if you want your items pressed although the cost will vary across camps.
- A pair of slippers
- Bed Sheets, Pillowcases and a Pillow: You could also get a pillow from market to reduce load.
- Beverage: The camp will supply you with “Tea-water” or ‘brown-water’ so you can make tea when you need to!
- Flashlight or Rechargeable Lamps: Most camps, do not give light except at a specific time of the day. It’s very essential especially at night when you need to use the bathroom, early in the morning when preparing for morning drills and meditations and at night in case you need to do anything. At the mammy market, there is always light till they close, usually 10 pm except on days like the Camp Fire Night where they stay open till, say, 3am depending on how lenient your camp commander is. You can charge your lamps there for a little fee.
- Some Form of Entertainment: Novels – for those who get bored easily, please take a few. And for guys, games on your phone would do or chess. Your music player and headphones for audiophiles
- extra phone batteries and extra network sims: Some networks are not available at some camps as they’re usually in remote locations, far from town centres.
- Cash: Extremely important. You would need about N20,000 minus transport to and fro camp. Then between N30,000 – N40,000 to be ‘just’ comfortable. For those that can manage, say about N15,000. There are lots of things that take up money. Things like food (for those who don’t intend eating from the camp kitchen), energy drinks, recharge cards, charging of electronic devices, laundry, pleasures e.t.c.
- ATM Card: You ‘normally’ won’t be allowed to leave camp. So do not be stranded, trust me it’s not a good idea. Just budget N1,000 per day. You should take your ATM card along, in case. (This might sound counter-intuitive since there might not be any ATM in your camp and you are not allowed to leave camp. But figure it out…) You can keep your extra cash with the Accounts Department while some shops offer POS services, you still have access to extra cash whenever you need it. What are the requirements for nysc camp?
Tip: You will be fed three times a day in camp but I must not lie to you, the food there is nothing to write home about. They can be nice on a few occasions like Sundays, but most days, they are poor. If you are someone who loves to eat good food, make provisions for your own food. You should get some fast foods along, some breakfast cereals and beverages. You should also hold extra cash to eat at the Mammy market. You will get good meals there.
As of now, that’s all you need to take to NYSC camp for you to have wonderful camping, don’t be selfish. You have to share this with your friends, don’t you? Click the share buttons below. If you also have any contribution to give you can kindly drop it in our comment box.